The Main Difference Between RS232 to RS485 Converters units is that some of them can have a DB9 connector whereas others have a terminal screw header or RJ11 connector, some are isolated some are not, some has more than one RS485 port, some has LED lights for indicating RX/TX data flow, some are port-powered and some needs an external power supply, some are industrial strength, some are consumer products.
The RS232 to RS485 itself, regardless of what model you choose, is simply a device which can convert standard RS232 data signals into RS485 signals and vice versa. Most RS232 to RS485 converters can convert data in both directions, from RS232 to RS485 and from RS485 to RS232, this is also called a bi-directional converter.
1)Serial Features: Interface is compatible with EIA / TIA RS - 232C , RS - 485 standard
2) Electrical Interface: RS -232C end D89 pass port, RS - 485 terminal D89 needle -shaped connector, with the terminal ( three wires)
3) Work: asynchronous half-duplex
4) Transmission media: wire, twisted pair or shielded cable
5) Transfer rate: 300 - 115200BPS
6) Transmission distance : 5m ( RS -232 terminal), 1200m (RS - 485 side )
7) Communication protocols: Transparent
8) Working environment: -10 - 85 degrees Celsius;relative humidity: 5% - 95%
- RS-232 : the TXD , RXD , RTS, the CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, GND;
- RS-485 : Date+, Date-, GND